Fountains, sculptures, and trellises are all wonderful garden features that add architecture, structure and focal points to a garden. “Ode to the Urn” another eye-catching feature is the shape of the urn. The urn has helped define homes and gardens of the world for centuries. From the French Countryside, the Hills of Tuscany, Paris, Venice, Greece to the classic town and country gardens of England and America.
Large Urn as a Focal Point (Daffodil Garden)
The Urn’s familiar shape lends Grace, history and timeless style, from cottages to courtyards worldwide.
• A pair of urns can help frame and define welcome entranceways, gateways, thresholds, and paths.
• A large urn can be used as a focal point – creating an architectural interest or draw the eye into an open or central area of a garden or garden room.
• Add height with fine plantings whether with topiary or taller shrubs or plants.
• Use multiple urns to create structure, symmetry or a border, for example, to line a walkway, enhance a poolside, frame stairs, use small urns or planters in the front of the urns to create an old world, 2 or 3 tier cascading style.
• Elevate urns on plinths and pedestals for the right proportions for your creation, or lead the eye down to the end of a long garden path.
• Planting urns with topiary can add a classic look to your urns while ferns can have a more natural look, and ivy let to grow, to cascade around the urn base can give a wonderful secret garden look.
-Let ivies grow and cascade down the urn for a secret garden look.
• Because the urn is such a strong statement piece in any landscape or home, choose the shape, size, material, textures, and finishes based upon the style and feel of your creation, what you are planting, and the proportions you may need for your home or garden. Choose a design that is right for the architecture of your home and garden whether it’s French Country, a Tuscan feel, classic English or American victorian or a less formal natural or coastal garden that blends with weathered rust or an aged finish, etc…
See a few examples of beautiful Urns Below:
-A large ancient olive oil urn adding height & an architectural element to a terrace & trellis.
-Large and medium urns used together in tiers are great on either side of an entrance, creating a softer more welcoming presence.
-Use a planted urn to set off a plain corner or staircase inside or outdoors.
-Framing Stairs with beautiful urns at a coastal home
HenFeathers will be happy to help you select the right urns for your Home and Garden, please email or call us!
Phone: (610) 649 – 4078
or visit us at